Position: Director of Development
Company: New Horizon Development Group Inc.
Location: Burlington, ON
Our Director of Development will be instrumental in helping to cultivate and deliver on our next generation of mixed-use communities. This opportunity will appeal to a strong development leader who is looking to help influence, develop, and deliver a new high-rise development pipeline that will shape our future across our GGH operations. This role is ideally suited to a real estate development professional with a passion for mixed-use residential development sites and the challenges that such complicated sites, planning approvals, and land deals/partnerships can entail. The role will include a focus on entitlement activities for a range of urban projects, from stacked townhouse communities to large and complex multi-tower projects.
We are looking for a well-rounded, project-management professional who brings existing consultant and municipal relationships and a track record of delivering on-time and value-added approvals for residentially-focused development projects.
- Direct on a day-to-day basis multi-disciplinary consultant and joint venture partner project teams to secure favourable municipal approvals to enable sales launch and construction.
- Actively and continuously collaborate and communicate with various internal departments, ensuring that potential challenges or opportunities to plan, budget, schedule, and/or relationships are proactively identified, communicated, analyzed, and addressed.
- Proactively and positively engage with municipal and community stakeholders to advance the entitlement process, and lead efforts with various levels of government to influence policy direction.
- Prepare scheduling, budget, cash flows, and other financial reporting (including packages to joint venture partners) while using the project pro forma as a project management and decision tool.
- Provide input into acquisition opportunities, including local policy/approval context, consultant team engagement, and peer review of acquisition recommendations.
- Maintain and promote customer/user awareness, ensuring that the specific needs, desires, and aspirations of the ultimate customers/users are considered in decisions.
- Act as point of contact for joint venture partners, managing the accurate preparation and timely delivery of various reporting materials as well as the regular facilitation of partnership meetings.
- Mentor, lead and direct the work of development managers/analysts/coordinator, ensuring both the quality of their work as well as their on-going engagement and professional growth.
- Participate regularly in industry organizations and events, both to remain current on trends as well as to help develop NHDG’s industry urban brand presence.
- Experience in real estate, urban planning/geography, engineering, business/finance, architecture, landscape architecture, law, etc. An MBA or other advanced real estate education is an asset. Applicants without formal business education should be prepared to demonstrate finance and other business skills/experience gained “on the job.”
- 10 years in residential/mixed-use real estate development, with progression into management of complex development projects and associated entitlement approvals.
- Experience in developing residential projects in the Greater Toronto and Golden Horseshoe Areas, being fluent in the local planning approval regulatory/policy framework, associated municipal processes and stakeholders, etc.
- Established relationships within the local real estate industry — particularly, consultants and municipal/community/other stakeholders — and an ability to build rapport with diverse group of people, particularly during challenging negotiations.
- Rigorous customer-focus with real empathy for our customers/building users and an emphasis on ensuring decisions are viewed through the perspective of our end customers, trades and clients.
- Strategic Execution to develop and drive project strategy and challenging the status quo to uncover new opportunities with a keen understanding of the numbers and the project’s financial position.
- Tenacious project management –the ability to prioritize multiple projects, relationships, tasks, and deadlines while always thinking ahead in respect to scheduling and resulting impacts on external and internal resources.
- Proficiency in communications, ethical negotiations, and the capacity to consistently and professionally balance the interests of all stakeholders (internal/external partners, investors, consultants, municipal & political members, suppliers, trades, and most importantly, our end users.
- A fluent understanding of the various technical disciplines involved in high-rise residential development, including the ability to review and comment on consultant deliverables, seeing and articulating both implications to a project from NHDG’s multi-faceted perspectives.
- Comprehension of complex regulatory policy documents and associated legal agreements, being able to quickly digest and share thoughts/guidance, direct analysis relevant to NHDG’s business, as well as formulate and execute nuanced responses.
- Ability to read and identify how drawings relate to various regulatory/technical standards, site statistics, user experience and intended offering, etc.
- A working level of numeracy and financial acumen, being able to understand how complex financial models and concepts may impact our proposed development objectives and vice versa.
- Passion and drive for continual improvement and accomplishment, developing industry-leading projects balanced with achieving NHDG’s schedule and budget objectives.
- Must be self-motivated, independent, and detail oriented.
- Concise writing and presentation skills are required.
- Proven track record of excelling within a team-oriented and collaborative environment